Thursday, December 6, 2007

Honeymoon - Day 8

Day 8 – December 4, 2007

Breakfast at Alice’s, a final goodbye to Richard, then on the road again by 9:30am. The sun was shining again and the further west we drove the warmer it became. At one point I even had my jacket open and no gloves! A lot of driving today, but we did make a few stops. Our first was to Cabela’s Outfitters in Mitchell, about 3-hours from Stockholm off I-90. This time Robert was in heaven, but even I got a bit excited at all the camouflage We ate elk sandwiches at the little café they had inside and I bought several bags of buffalo jerky. Robert also bought a nice hat. Neither of us had ever eaten elk. I think I like it better than buffalo.

About an hour and a half later we were on the road again, but didn’t get very far. Just down the road is the world’s only Corn Palace…a very corny place! (Sorry, couldn’t resist). The outside of the building is made entirely of corn, but the inside is actually a sporting arena. Apparently the Corn Palace has quite the history. It was established in 1892 and the exterior decorations are stripped down and new murals are created every year.

We stayed on I-90 all the way to Wall. Most of the snow was melted and the road was clear. We pulled into Motel 6 in Wall about 6pm or so, but with the time change I think it was closer to 5pm. It was a long travel day with a total of 444 miles. We were in bed fairly early in hopes of getting an early start tomorrow. We are hoping to see the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore, since it was snowing so badly the first time we drove through. If all goes well will be in Denver by tomorrow night.

No comments: